Sunday, November 25, 2012

bloggin <a href="http://www.yamlodress.nl/trouwjurken/trouwjurken-2012.html">Trouwjurk 2012</a> my way up Mt Everest Blog Archive What




Ha just kidding. I didn really get to interview her. But I had this super special awesome idea that lets me indirectly interview Vera Wang!!!!! After my first couple of interview sent-outs didn quite work out, I came up with a fantabulous idea. Since Vera Wang is recent, there a bunch of interviews going around with her featured. I decided to make my split voor Prom Dresses own questions, and take some of her own words from various different interviews. So it is an interview with Vera, just not High Low Schoolfeest Jurken directly! I wrote down all the questions I would have liked to ask her, and through internet research, I found her own answers.





Q: How do you come up with your designs? Where does your inspiration stem from?





A: I like to be able to relate what I do to how I live. For example, in one of the exhibitions, I chose the topic of nature to base my designs of. I work as a designer in a very organic manner. When I think up a design, I don just sketch it out on a piece of scrap paper. I play with fabric, I look at it, I see how it works or doesn work.





Q: How do your design collections go through the process of being finalized?





A: There a lot of alterations in the stages of the process. What we make in our sample room may not be what eventually comes out on the runway. We can start out with a jacket, it might become a skirt. We might start out with a top, it may become a t-shirt. We just don know!





Q: How did your bridal career start off?





A: Well, it a bit of a funny story. I was working for Ralph Lauren, and he always said that he never does bridal gowns, but truthfully, he would do them for his staff. But when it came to me, he didn want to do one for me! He told me he stay away from my wedding gown because I might had to wear the design even though I didn like it. For me, I was 3 days shy of 40 when I got married. So here I am, looking around for a wedding dress when everyone getting married at that time was 20 years old. The stores were stocked up on frilly dresses marketed for the younger customers. In the end, I had a dress made for myself. But, what I did see was this opportunity to go into the bridal gown business. I think a lot of people had forgotten about weddings in a way they only do it because when they get married, they have to have a dress. For me, I thought if I could bring fashion to wedding and a different view point. Do more modern dresses for girls who are modern, more romantic dresses for girls who are romantic and maybe sexy for girls that are sexier.





Q: What do you think of when you start designing a particular dress?





A: I think part of what I do when I design is think about the clothing. Not just design it but to think about what it supposed to accomplish. Certainly in a wedding gown, most brides focus on the front of the dress. But what they don realize that most of the audience looks at them from behind for most of the ceremony, and the rest of the wedding everyone looks at the dress in a 360 degree view. So I always thought the back of dresses are equally or sometimes more important than the front of the dress. I think so much drama can happen at the back. The train, the buttons, the bows, the detailing. So much can happen and there room for so much beauty there.





Q: Have you ever had difficulties with a collection? If so, how did you deal with it?





A: In the Spring/Summer 2010 Collection Line, I tried many different fabrics. Incredible colours and finishes a whole new level of fabric. The new fabrics were very costly and sold to most of the expensive collections. Unfortunately, we couldn sew a lot of them. The sewing machines didn work on them, the seams didn look right. None of these fabrics worked. In this economy, I was very frustrated during these 3 months that I had to work on this collection. In the end, during the last 2 weeks before the show, I threw all the fabric out. I just threw it out I couldn make it work. All these odd, insane fabrics I could not use. I couldn even make a belt or a trim out of it. Once I let it all go, suddenly the air was clear and I saw a different path.





Q: What is the hardest thing that you have to deal with as a fashion designer?





There a lot of pressure to put out an unique collection 4 times a year. Every 10 to 12 weeks, you have to come up with something extraordinary. It very hard to do. It not the first collection you do, it not the 30th, it the 100th or 200th. You have to keep it fresh, to keep it interesting. As a businesswoman, you also have to keep it on budget. That probably the most frustrating part of my career.


No comments:

Post a Comment